[CentOS] DSL battling rojter - help!

Sun Jul 18 13:35:24 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 01:26 -0700, Mark wrote:
> 1. If I connect my CentOS (main) box to the DSL modem, I can log into
> the modem and check all the settings, and I can ping sites on the web
> from there, but I can't actually get any web pages to load.  This is
> using Firefox 3.6.4 (the L&G).

No proper default gateway or dns server aettings.  Of which some dsl
modems under linux you have to hard code those settings on the machine.
If your using dhcp and then go to make changes make sure to use
"dhclient" from the cmd line.

> 2. If I connect a WinXP box to the modem, it gets to the web without
> any trouble.

Yea winblows does a great job at this.

> 3. If I connect the router to the modem and run the machines through
> the router, no one gets to the web.  I managed to get it to a point
> where I could acquire an IP address, but nothing on the web was
> visible.

Right, because the DSL Router is not in Bridged Mode. Enable Bridged
mode on the Siemens Modem.

> I'll figure out the router problem one way or another, but it really
> concerns me that I couldn't get to the web from my CentOS box at all.

See above.

> Before the router password fiasco, everything was working absolutely
> perfectly, and I did not change ANY settings on my machines.
>
> Now, I do have a line in /etc/hosts that sets my machine id, and its
> IP address to 192.168.0.100, which is what it normally should be for
> access through the router as it is the primary machine on it.  (I need
> that because my VMWare SMB is set up to use that for connections
> between my virtual XP machine and my CentOS host.)  Could that be the
> problem with internet access directly through the DSL modem?  If so,
> how do I change this to ensure that the hostname is set properly but
> the IP address matches whatever the DSL modem gives back?  How do I
> then also ensure that the hostname and address are set right so my
> host-VMWare samba connection still work?

Your confusing here either you want to configure the machine for dhcp or
static addys. Get the first part working then decide what you need.
"hostname foobar" from the command line.
127.0.0.1               foobar localhost.localdomain localhost  #
example

John