[CentOS] DHCPD

Fri Jul 30 19:46:08 UTC 2010
Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com>

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 19:35 +0000, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> Not sure if there is a DHCPD/PXE forum so I will ask here.
>
> I have been trying to get netboot to work (i.e. a machine with nothing on it
> but a NIC card, no linux, no operating system, whatever) boots up and receives
> a file from a dhcp server.  This dhcp server gives it all the Linux stuff
> it needs so a full install can be done over the network.
>
> I actually got this working by turning my desktop into a DHCP server and
> placing the Linux images.  My problem?  Now everyone, especially with windows
> machines, is complaining that their machine keeps telling them "unknown
> network" and "no internet connection".  Oops, my DHCP server was intercepting
> all the other DHCP requests normally for our actual router (192.168.5.1).
>
> I can get around this by unplugging my machine from the LAN and just having
> it on a very small network with only two IPS (my desktop DHCP server and
> the machine doing the boot).  However, I would rather stay connected to the
> LAN especially if I have to go out over it to get an install package (like
> DDD).
>
> Can I somehow tell my desktop only to handle PXE requests and anything
> else should go to 192.168.5.1?
>
> Couple minor questions but I can save time asking here too:
>
> I can't figure out the correct "option" or keyword to assign host name
> via DHCP.
>
> Is there a way I can have a user choose whether to install 4.5 or 5.4
> (CentOS) via boot?  I put multiple choices into the C0 file but it ignored
> all but one.

I put a line in my dhcpd.conf file something like the following;

host rhel5ppc2.olysteel.com {fixed-address 192.168.0.53; hardware
ethernet ca:10:e0:00:40:03; next-server 192.168.1.137; filename
"ppc64.img"; update-static-leases on;}

You have to know the mac of the PXE client nic.  Maybe you shouldn't
have a pool in your config file either or a different pool of maybe 1
address for the nic you want to PXE boot.