[CentOS] Bug in cfdisk?

Thu Jun 24 15:24:35 UTC 2010
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

I'm currently working through Sander Van Vugt's "Beginning the Linux
Command Line" (Apress), just for fun. Right now I'm just trying out all
the examples in chapter 5, dedicated to managing partitions and logical
volumes. After some work with fdisk (which I normally use), the book
introduces cfdisk (which I've been using in Slackware days). Curiously
enough, CentOS' cfdisk doesn't seem to work.

I'm experimenting with two USB sticks connected to an old NEC Powermate,
which appear as /dev/sda resp. /dev/sdb. I can access them with fdisk OK
and partition them any way I want. Except I can't seem to open them with
cfdisk. When I try it, I get the following error message :

FATAL ERROR: Cannot seek disk on drive
Press any key to exit cfdisk

Now I don't really mind about that error, since fdisk does anything I
need. But I'm just wondering about why that happens.

Any idea?

Niki