[CentOS] Upgrading from 4.4 to 4.7

Thu Jun 24 15:07:03 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, John Kennedy wrote:

> For (system) certification purposes, we have to upgrade our 4.4 machines to
> 4.7.

   * nod *

> In the past I usually have just reinstalled machines to save
> the (perceived) headaches of upgrading. That is not an
> option in this case. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for
> when upgrading? Is it even possible to go up 3 revisions?

The testing done is usually an upgrade from recent to next in
the pre-release beta testing, and us likely to remain that
way, because there is a cross-product explosion as
successive point releases issue, and frankly, the upstream
model is that the 'latest' is the mose secure (and hopefully
exhibiting a durable ABI/API profile, with some noted
exceptions mentioned in Release Notes)

I would _suspect_ that there would no issues to bumping from
an earlier 'point sub-version' directly to a later initially
released 'base' of a later 'point' sub-version with CentOS as
we do not back roll 'updates' into the 'base' image.  Some
other rebuilds do.

As you are 'qualifying' a new sub-version level, this implies
that you have a set of behaviours you are testing for on a
deployment testing bench.  I think the best advice one can
offer is:
 	try it and report here
and we'll all learn together  ;)

-- Russ herrold