[CentOS] Upgrading from 4.4 to 4.7

Thu Jun 24 17:24:48 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 09:16:43AM -0400, John Kennedy wrote:
>
> > Only going to 4.7 because the required app is not certified for 4.8 (In the
> > RHEL world which is what we are basing this on). 4.7 is as high as they will
> > go. I know I will be doing this again in a month's time when they have 4.8
> > certified...
> > I just do as I am told...To an extent...
> > Thanks,
> > John
>
> I didn't think that CentOS version numbers necessarily track RHEL
> version numbers.    Kernel numbers do, of course, but not the distro
> or did I miss too much of the conversation?

CentOS versions do track RHEL version numbers.  CentOS n.m == RHEL n.m.
The only difference is mostly the 'flavor' of the eye candy: RHEL n.m
will have Red Hats (TM) showing up in various places and CentOS n.m
will have a different graphic in place of the Red Hats (TM). In other
places the words "Red Hat" have been replaced with "CentOS". This is
just a replacement of tradmarked images and phrases. I think there are
a couple of non open-source packages included in RHEL n.m that are not
present in CentOS n.m (nothing essentual, just some extra 'goodies').