[CentOS] 5.5 & gspca

Mon Jun 14 19:04:29 UTC 2010
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 14/06/10 18:58, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> The standalone gspca code is old and deprecated. It's now maintained as
>> part of the Video4Linux v4l-dvb tree here:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/
>
> Thanks. However, that's not an overly friendly site for non-project
> developers - don't see any current tarballs, for poor, overworked systems
> administrators to d/l and build. Do you know what I might need to be able
> to run the motion daemon? All I've seen are vcs/mercurial, or git or
> whatever repositories, and I do *not* see "version x.y.z stable", or
> "current release". I know my manager's willing to let me look at smaller
> stuff, but not to spend days on building and debugging (whether or not I'd
> like to, I've got other stuff to do).

AFAIK it's rolling development, so just grab the latest snapshot. At
present the v4l-dvb tree is largely maintained by Douglas Schilling
Landgraf and the gspca tree by Hans de Goede, both of Red Hat.

The main v4l-dvb tree is here - just grab the latest tarball and build
it. Here if you don't see it:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.bz2

Development work on the gspca branch appears to happen here:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hgoede/gspca/

before being merged into the main v4l-dvb tree.

>> Elrepo.org has a version built for el5 that supports many gspca based
>> devices:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-video4linux
>
> Don't need new versions, our video cams are years old, and inexpensive. We
> want stable. However, do you have a clue as to what the el repo package
> was built from? I just checked a CentOS mirror, and couldn't find either
> video4linux, or v4l*.

Isn't it obvious from the package names?

For example, kmod-video4linux-0.0-7.20100410.el5.elrepo is build from
the v4l-dvb source code snaphot dated 2010-04-10.