[CentOS] 5.5 & gspca

Mon Jun 14 19:24:39 UTC 2010

> On 14/06/10 18:58, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>>
>>> The standalone gspca code is old and deprecated. It's now maintained as
>>> part of the Video4Linux v4l-dvb tree here:
>>>
>>> http://linuxtv.org/
>>
>> Thanks. However, that's not an overly friendly site for non-project
>> developers - don't see any current tarballs, for poor, overworked
>> systems administrators to d/l and build. Do you know what I might need
>> to be able to run the motion daemon? All I've seen are vcs/mercurial, or
>> git or whatever repositories, and I do *not* see "version x.y.z stable",
>> or "current release". I know my manager's willing to let me look at
>> smaller stuff, but not to spend days on building and debugging (whether
>> or not I'd like to, I've got other stuff to do).
>
> AFAIK it's rolling development, so just grab the latest snapshot. At
> present the v4l-dvb tree is largely maintained by Douglas Schilling
> Landgraf and the gspca tree by Hans de Goede, both of Red Hat.

I have absolutely no intention of taking the latest snapshot. Did you just
skim over the last sentence I wrote, above? I don't need anything LATEST
AND GREATEST, I just want something ->STABLE<- that will run the bloody
old Labtech (Labtek?) cameras, and *not* spit out pointless error
messages.

By the way, what is "rolling development"? Does this mean that there are
*no* releases, or version numbers? If so, how can I tell what was the last
stable version, and what is where they started adding features for the
next release?

> The main v4l-dvb tree is here - just grab the latest tarball and build
> it. Here if you don't see it:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.bz2

When you say "latest", do you mean the last stable version, or what
somebody checked in last night (or just before lunch today)?

> Development work on the gspca branch appears to happen here:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hgoede/gspca/
>
> before being merged into the main v4l-dvb tree.
>

>>> Elrepo.org has a version built for el5 that supports many gspca based
>>> devices:
>>>
>>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-video4linux
>>
>> Don't need new versions, our video cams are years old, and inexpensive.
>> We
>> want stable. However, do you have a clue as to what the el repo package
>> was built from? I just checked a CentOS mirror, and couldn't find either
>> video4linux, or v4l*.
>>

> Isn't it obvious from the package names?
>
> For example, kmod-video4linux-0.0-7.20100410.el5.elrepo is build from
> the v4l-dvb source code snaphot dated 2010-04-10.

So I just need that, and *not* the apps? I mean, gspca is a video driver
that motion can use.

      mark