[CentOS] Disabling services in CentOS 5.5

Wed Jun 16 21:25:05 UTC 2010

> Hello all,
>
> I have been doing some searching for information about disabling
> services within a CentOS 5.5 install. I have found a few different
> opinions, and wanted to ask for some feedback.

No brainer.

> First off, the system is running a LAMP stack to serve a web
> application. It will only be doing email to send occasional messages
> out (sent via the application only). It will not be receiving email
> for any users. It is an CentOS 5.5 (fully updated) install running
> under VMware (esx, I believe). We are not sharing directories via nfs
> or samba (either from or to this virtual machine).
>
>>From my research, the services that I am thinking of turning off are:
> nfs (already off)

service nfs stop
chkconfig nfs off

Same for others.

Oh, and if you don't really need it, turn *off* avahi-daemon, and the same
for bluetooth, if you don't need it. Also, if you turn off the
avahi-daemon, close the port opened in iptables (edit
/etc/sysconfig/iptables and delete it, then restart iptables).

       mark "in a *server* room? hardwired?"