[CentOS] Disabling services in CentOS 5.5

Wed Jun 16 21:06:44 UTC 2010
Ski Dawg <centos at skidawg.org>

Hello all,

I have been doing some searching for information about disabling
services within a CentOS 5.5 install. I have found a few different
opinions, and wanted to ask for some feedback.

First off, the system is running a LAMP stack to serve a web
application. It will only be doing email to send occasional messages
out (sent via the application only). It will not be receiving email
for any users. It is an CentOS 5.5 (fully updated) install running
under VMware (esx, I believe). We are not sharing directories via nfs
or samba (either from or to this virtual machine).

>From my research, the services that I am thinking of turning off are:
nfs (already off)
nfslock
portmap
rpccgssd
rpcidmapd
rpcsvcgssd
apcid
apmd
mdmpd
mdmonitor

Is there any reason that I need to leave any of these services
running? Are there others that I should disable as well?

Any feedback about this would be greatly appreciated.
--
Doug

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
  -- Steve Wozniak