[CentOS] NFS performance - default rsize

Tue Jun 22 13:34:28 UTC 2010
Alex Still <alex.ranskis at gmail.com>

[..]

>> /proc/mounts shows rsize has been negotiated to 1mB
>
> Have you tested the same thing with a Linux NFS server?
>
> The CentOS 5.x kernel has a maximum server [rw]size of 32Kb, so you
> would need to use something with a more recent kernel to get [rw]sizes
> to be 1Mb.

Haven't tried with a linux server, will do.
One thing tho, we are still mostly running old Fedora Core 6 installs
(migrating to CentOS), which also negotiated rsize to 1mB with the
same NFS server, and they don't have the problem :

$ dd if=toto of=/dev/null bs=1024k
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 1.44039 seconds, 72.8 MB/s

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)

tail -1 /proc/mounts
nfs1:/local/users /users nfs
rw,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,hard,intr,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,addr=nfs1
0 0

The setup and hardware is strictly identical to the CentOS
environment. (we've installed both distros on the same servers, just
to be sure).

Network traces don't show anything special, no fragmentation or
delays. The only odd thing as I mentionned is that it's the client
which is waiting a long time between requests. Wonder what's happening
there.
Well I'll try with a linux NFS server see if it changes something,
will post here if we figure it out

Regards,

Alex