[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Wed Jun 30 12:34:53 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> Sounds exactly like the mentality in Hong Kong too. I mean, even the
>> bigger companies with Asian managers have a similar mentality. The IT
>> department is always the under-budgeted, under-manned and public enemy
>> number one when cost-cutting.
>
> Not too surprised the mentality is similar, I'm in Asia and just a few
> hours away by plane.
>
> Despite putting out cost estimates to management, they just won't
> accept that spending a few dollars more now would reap 10x the cost
> savings over the next couple of years.  Somehow, they seem to prefer
> gambling with the possibility of paying a couple of hundred bucks for
> emergency service calls and maybe a grand for data recovery than
> spending another hundred or so on an extra hard disk now.

One thing you can do on the cheap is set up nightly backups with backuppc. It
can run on a machine that does something else in the daytime if necessary and
its pooling and compression scheme will store about 10x the history you would
expect.  You need backups anyway since even complex redundancy schemes have
modes of failure that can lose things.

Or, I suppose you could roll your own with rsync to a zfs filesystem with
du-dup, compression, and snapshots set up.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com