[CentOS] Recover RAID

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Mar 9 00:16:39 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 07:10 AM, Jeff Sadino wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks to everyone who helped me to learn about RAIDs, starting at the
> end and working backwards :)
>
> I brought my system back up, minus the raid0 partition that was
> corrupted.  My question now is what's the best way to back up my
> server?  Basically, I have one more (software?) raid1 array, a cluster
> setup on 5 subnodes (but I don't see any of their data here, so prob
> just all scratch and OS space), and then a hardware RAID controller
> (10.54.1.100) attached to 2 raid setups (scratch, apps, and data as one
> setup and then last week we added the shacks as a seperate 12TB array.
> It came as a RAID, but I think we had to decouple it b/c our OS couldn't
> read it), and then we have the computer with mounts referencing our main
> Windows server (10.1.1.17), which is backed up by our Windows guy.
> Should I use the empty shacks as backup space?

/me in favour of multiple online 'backup' servers in separate locations.
Forget tape or whatever else backup.

Hardware for doing that is dirt cheap compared to tape libraries/drives.
But I use ZFS with snapshots for this purpose so if you want or need
incremental backups then you may have to look elsewhere...