[CentOS] NFS freeze when transmitting big files

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:49:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 12:27 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one old spare PC, a PIII with 128 MB RAM, that I use as a spare
> file server. I have a headless CentOS 5 install on it, and a 2 terabyte
> external USB harddisk.
---
This may help help you I have the same problem.

First to rule out the USB Drive copy file on the server machine itself
from like a dvd rom to the USB Drive in order to check out how it is
working,

Try this go directly to the Mount Folder of your NFS Share and open it
up then copy and paste a file into it.  Don't do a browse network to
access the nfs share.  You want the hard mounted nfs share.

You should have better success with another 128MB of RAM..

Case point I have one also a P3 450 256MB RAM CentOS 5.4 here at home
using samba + clam av and large files make me have to hard mount the
directory to paste to the server.  I run no GUI either on it so you may
want to get rid of X and Gnome.  Mine I run in, run level 3 so no gui
here because it was painfully slow.

John