[CentOS] VMWare vs. KVM - recommendations?

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:57:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 10:16 +0100, lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:

>  Moving VMs is an interesting exercise. While the image formats seems to
>  be mostly compatible or convertable, the Windows installation is probably
>  not. When I moved from vmware player to VirtualBox at home, I was unable
>  to get the Windows image to work because of driver issues. Windows doesn't
>  seem to have the nice modularisation and a given install is tied to the
>  particular hardware it's installed on. It may be possible to work around
>  that with some patience.
---
It will work, you have to use the same type of ACPI Drivers as you did
in VMWare Servere/Player/ESX.  Now before the final shutdown and
migration of the Windows virtual disk you have to go to microsofts web
site and down load the the Tool that Relaxes the IDE Drive Checks.
Install it to the Windows guest and then run it.  After that it can be
converted to VBox format.

A given install is only tied to the hardware on Windows XP and Up.
Although you can migrate that license to the Vbox install :-).  You
can't just have two of the same instances under the same license
running.

John