[CentOS] How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

Sun Mar 14 00:39:28 UTC 2010
Martin Jungowski <martin at rhm.de>

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:20:43 -0500 Stephen Harris wrote:
> Nope; standard 32bit Windows XP vs 32bit CentOS 5
>
> (bit-width shouldn't matter 32bit OS's can handle large files for over a
> decade)

The problem with x86 (32-bit) is that there's two different memory limits.
The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB. That means that even on 64-
bit system and more than 4GB of total memory a 32-bit process cannot
access more than that, which is why a ZIP file larger than that can cause
trouble on any system. I highly doubt that Windows will be able to
decompress that file. Depending on the tool you use (built-in unzip tool?
Winzip? Winrar? 7-zip?) you might be able to access the file and view its
contents, but you will probably fail unzipping it.

Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH
Hellerholz 5