[CentOS] How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

Sun Mar 14 01:14:11 UTC 2010
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:39:28AM +0000, Martin Jungowski wrote:
> The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
> amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB. That means that even on 64-
> bit system and more than 4GB of total memory a 32-bit process cannot
> access more than that, which is why a ZIP file larger than that can cause
> trouble on any system. I highly doubt that Windows will be able to
> decompress that file. Depending on the tool you use (built-in unzip tool?

Why?  It's not storing the whole file in memory, it's writing it out
chunk-wise to a disk.  Unzipping a file requires very little memory
regardless of the size of it.

Even info-zip can handle files of over 2Gb as long as the whole archive
itself isn't 2Gb.

This is _not_ a memory issue; it's a "32bit pointer" issue (historical
limitation on unix before largefiles concept).

As it happens, yes, the built-in XP zip program happily extracts all the
files.

--

rgds
Stephen