[CentOS] Upgrading Python with Yum

Mon Mar 22 14:36:22 UTC 2010
Susan Day <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I have an old version of Python (2.4.3) and I'm trying to upgrade (to
> 2.6);
> > however, when I try
> > yum upgrade python
> > it tells me that it's already got the latest and greatest...presumably of
> > 2.4.3. I've tried
> > yum list python
> > and it only gives me the 2.4.3. Are there no others? Do I have to build
> from
> > a tarball? I'm surprised I don't find a version of Python 3 either. In
> what
> > folder are the rpms kept?
>
> You might want to read this FAQ:
>
> "Where can I get the latest version of XyZ.rpm for CentOS? I cannot
> find it anywhere."
> (
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-472ce8446ebcfc82ca1800f775ba0e629ac835c7
> )

Well that states that the latest "stable version" is supported by CentOS,
not the "cutting edge" version. Fine; however, according to python.org:
The current production versions are Python
2.6.5<http://python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/>and Python
3.1.2 <http://python.org/download/releases/3.1.2/>.
So, if "production version" == "stable version", as I believe it should,
there's a serious disconnect between the thinking of the folks at python and
CentOS. I believe 2.4.6 has been stable for about 5 years, if I'm not
mistaken, and that's an advance over what CentOS is packaging. Needless to
say, I don't want to run software that's antique, and I think that's what
CentOS is promoting, I'm sorry to say. So, am I stuck with tarballs?
TIA,
Susan