[CentOS] Upgrading Python with Yum

Mon Mar 22 14:47:24 UTC 2010
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "Where can I get the latest version of XyZ.rpm for CentOS? I cannot
>> find it anywhere."
>> (
>> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-472ce8446ebcfc82ca1800f775ba0e629ac835c7
>> )

> Well that states that the latest "stable version" is supported by CentOS,
> not the "cutting edge" version. Fine; however, according to python.org:
> The current production versions are Python 2.6.5 and Python 3.1.2.
> So, if "production version" == "stable version", as I believe it should,
> there's a serious disconnect between the thinking of the folks at python and
> CentOS. I believe 2.4.6 has been stable for about 5 years, if I'm not
> mistaken, and that's an advance over what CentOS is packaging. Needless to
> say, I don't want to run software that's antique, and I think that's what
> CentOS is promoting, I'm sorry to say. So, am I stuck with tarballs?

I was hoping you would also look at the link to the "backport" page in
that FAQ.  It is all about Enterprise class Linux:

"... One of these features changed the module interface. In this case,
if Red Hat issued a security update with version 2.0.43 of the Apache
HTTP Server, replacing version 2.0.40, any modules customers were
using would have had to be updated (recompiled) to match the new
module interface. If customers were using third-party modules, they
would have had to go to their supplier of those modules to get
updates. Moving from version 2.0.40 to 2.0.43 of the Apache HTTP
Server would have required manual effort by system administrators;
therefore, such an update would not be suitable for automated upgrade
systems such as the Red Hat Network..."

In a package-based distro like CentOS, installing from tarballs is
strongly discouraged. Please also take a look at:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls

Akemi