[CentOS] Release 6?

Wed Mar 31 19:18:36 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/31/2010 1:58 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:

>>> Not sure, I don't use Fedora, I use CentOS on my servers and Linux
>>> Mint on my desk and laptop's.
>>
>> I use F12 on my laptop. I have to say it runs very well (definite
>> improvement from F10 and previous). I also use it for my netbook
>> (with a few tweaks) and everything is fine.. No fires or explosions
>> to report of :)
>
> I'll chime in. Fedora 12 seems well behaved running as a (64-bit) VM
> running on a CentOS 5 host.
>
> We use F12 headless, so I can't comment on desktop issues, but I
> really like the deltarpm stuff. It really cuts down on bandwidth
> requirements on a frequently updated distro like Fedora.

A lot of the work after Fedora 6 seemed to revolve around making
single-user desktop type access more convenient at the expense of more
general purpose server concepts - and making it boot quickly which isn't
a big priority on boxes that run all the time.  And some things even
when not technically broken were annoying, like if a user logs in at the
console keyboard it would kill the audio output being controlled by a
remote user.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com