[CentOS] ldap: adding user to multiple groups

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 05:20:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Arun Khan wrote:
>

>> Even though you may not require the SMB extensions, the smbldaptools
>> may be worth looking into.  It's toolset are similar to the regular
>> Linux user management tools, with the backend taking care of
>> populating the LDAP DIT and you keeping your sanity :)
>
> Thanks Arun,
>
> But you assume too much, I have no sanity left to keep :)

I know what you mean.   I was going nuts with one client (who thought
he knew LDAP just because he had done a prototype setup on a Mac OS X
server) because he was mucking around with the DIT (on the Mac
platform).   That is when I switched him to openLDAP and smbldaptools
on Linux and reclaimed my sanity :)

Another tool that I forgot to mention is LDAP Account Manager (lam);
there is an open source as well a commercial support version.  It is
web based; ideal for the CLI phobic admins.  You can delegate
authority to non technical staff like HR for disabling users and
groups ...

Luck,
-- Arun Khan