[CentOS] your session only lasted less than 10 seconds error

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed May 12 15:42:40 UTC 2010

Chaitanya,

   First, please stop top posting. Email is like a conversation, and
simply makes more sense if you go to the end, just like reading a
conversation. DO delete irrelevant stuff.

>> Chaitanya wrote:
>
> This is the exact scenario of my machine.
> i am running the cent os under my virtual box and i have made a network
> bridge to that VBOX

So, what's the host o/s, Windows?

> so from my machine i connect to the VBOX using the Xshell.

What are you using, putty?

> and by the way i am new to linux and this is my test machine so that i do
> some testing.

So READ UP on Linux/Unix.

> this is the F reason i am using the root user.

DON'T. Either use root only to do maintenance, or just use sudo to do
that. Do *not* test as a root user, except for things only root can do.

> what ever os is it i dont think logging in as root user will crash the
> system.

It won't. However, if you're exposed to the 'Net, you are begging anyone
who finds a way to break in to take over your system. Also, doing things
as root, esp. if you don't know what you're doing, is a wonderful way to
destroy it. Think "format c:/".

> regarding the halt command i used it to check what this command will do
> and this one i have done from the F manual only.

I have no idea what the "F manual" is. From the command line,
prompt> man halt

Linux, unlike Windows, comes with man pages for almost all commands.

> but now my VBOX machine crashed.

CentOS crashed, or the VBOX?
<snip>

        mark