[CentOS] apache redirection

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 19 21:45:53 UTC 2010

> On 05/19/2010 04:08 PM, Ski Dawg wrote:
> > The problem I am running into is if they go to https://domainname.com
> > (straight to the secure site), I am not able to find a solution that
> > will redirect them to https://www.domainname.com, so that the ssl
> > certificate matches and they won't get the "This connection is
> > untrusted" warning.
> >
> > Is there something obvious that I am missing? Is there a better way to
> > ensure that everyone will always end up with the www in the url, so
> > the certificate always matches?
>
> The problem you are running into is that SSL sessions are negotiated
> prior to the browser sending the virtual host name, so there is no
> opportunity to redirect the client to the www URL before it's too late.
>  Aside from purchasing a second SSL certificate for the plain domain
> name or getting a wildcard certificate to cover both, I would just make
> sure the links on your web site to the secure version of the domain
> specify the www in the URL.

Also: don't 'advertise' the https:// URL at all.  Visitors should
always go to you non-SSL site first.

> -Zack

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk