[CentOS] Created a custom/minimal CentOS 5.x install ISO

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon May 24 18:33:53 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 04:38 PM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> On 05/21/2010 12:55 AM, Digimer wrote:
>> 3. Run revisor as you've both discussed.
>>
>>    My goal is to create a much smaller DVD, more than anything.
>
> I think the smallest you can get away with for a non-graphical install
> is something like
>
> %packages
> @base
> @core
> kernel
> anaconda
> isomd5sum
> %end

You can specify only "@core" if you want the smallest possible install.
  You can specify only "@base" if you want the "minimal" installation.
You don't need to specify the other packages.  kernel will always be
installed.  anaconda and isomd5sum (and other deps) will be included
unless you're using a recent version of revisor with the reuseinstaller
plugin.

> The Fedora 'spins-kickstart' package has the kickstart files used to
> build their live-cds.  The %packages sections in those files will give
> you some insight into what a black art this can be.

Theirs is messy, but it's not usually that bad.  The
system-config-kickstart tool on Fedora can be used to set this up with a
GUI if you prefer.