[CentOS] Broken repo / mirrors?

Jeffrey Gipson jeffagipson at gmail.com
Sat May 29 19:57:18 UTC 2010

On May 29, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> OK, I'm curious.  What is this "main mailing list"?  And what are
> the "public facing parts of the group" and "public facing team
> members"?  The way you describe it, it sounds as though you feel
> that passing information around within the clique counts as
> "openness".  I hope that's not what you intended to imply.
>
> I'll confess I didn't look on IRC.  The problem I have with IRC
> is that I have to sit on there all day or risk missing what might
> be a significant part of the discussion.  I read this mailing
> list as a newsgroup on gmane.org, and there I can look back at
> the entire discussion at any time.  There's no equivalent I know
> of for that on IRC.

FWIW, I *DID* go to IRC instead of the mailing list, and someone there with a really condescending attitude treated me like an idiot for not checking the mailing list first.  I agree that there should be some clearer definition on the official support website as to the first point of contact for people trying to resolve these things in near-realtime.

The fact the the IRC people tell users to go check the mailing list, and mailing list people tell people to go check IRC sickens me.  I don’t mind having to use one or the other, but it should be more clear.

--
 Jeffrey A. Gipson (RHCE)