[CentOS] Broken repo / mirrors?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 29 20:19:30 UTC 2010

> ---Executing: recode
>
> On May 29, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> > OK, I'm curious.  What is this "main mailing list"?  And what are
> > the "public facing parts of the group" and "public facing team
> > members"?  The way you describe it, it sounds as though you feel
> > that passing information around within the clique counts as
> > "openness".  I hope that's not what you intended to imply.
> >
> > I'll confess I didn't look on IRC.  The problem I have with IRC
> > is that I have to sit on there all day or risk missing what might
> > be a significant part of the discussion.  I read this mailing
> > list as a newsgroup on gmane.org, and there I can look back at
> > the entire discussion at any time.  There's no equivalent I know
> > of for that on IRC.
>

> FWIW, I *DID* go to IRC instead of the mailing list, and someone
> there with a really condescending attitude treated me like an idiot for
> not checking the mailing list first.  I agree that there should be some
> clearer definition on the official support website as to the first
> point of contact for people trying to resolve these things in
> near-realtime.

I don't even bother with IRC -- it is close to useless over dial-up,
since I cannot just sit there tieing up my (only) phone line.  Sending
an E-Mail to the mailing list is far easier -- I can send it out and
then check back a few hours or a day later.  It is not like not being
able to update the two packages for a few hours or days was any sort of
problem for me -- I just wanted to get the update done, eventually,
presuming that the update represented some important bug or security
fix.