[CentOS] Mounting LVM disk

Mon May 24 14:28:50 UTC 2010
Weiner, Michael <weinerm at ccf.org>

List Readers -

I have a Dell server that uses the Perc 6i controller and had 5 1Tb
disks installed (1 for OS and the other 4 in a Raid0 for a large storage
pool). The owner of the server wanted me to swap out the 1Tb disks for
2Tb disks - easy enough I thought, but I ran into some issues trying to
clone the OS disk to the new 2Tb disk, so I just did a re-install. So
basically we now have 5 2Tb disks (1 for OS and the other 4 in a Raid0)
like before. I was able to copy off the data that was on the original
Raid0 volume and put it back on the newly created one that is now 8Tb
and that worked well enough. But since I was unable to clone the
original OS disk, and proceeded to simply re-install the OS, the owner
apparently wants his $HOME directory copied off (which of course resides
on the 1Tb OS disk). So, being a SAS disk, I purchased an ICY Dock which
allows me to mount the SAS disk in an external enclosure, and plug it in
via USB (SAS -> SATA -> USB). However when I do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sdc' I
receive the following:

[root at gc-server2 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255552 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267349 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

Two things are a bit unusual here, first of all its not a 2Tb disk, and
secondly why cant I read the partition table.

Originally the OS was on an LVM volume and by default it was setup as

 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1

My question is, is there a way to connect and mount this via USB and be
able to get the $HOME directory stuff off that I failed to copy off
before removing the disk?

Thanks in advance

Michael

in America by U.S.News & World Report (2009).
locations.