[CentOS] Mounting LVM disk

Mon May 24 15:15:06 UTC 2010
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

Weiner, Michael wrote, On 05/24/2010 10:28 AM:
> List Readers -
>

> I have a Dell server that uses the Perc 6i controller and had 5 1Tb
> disks installed (1 for OS and the other 4 in a Raid0 for a large storage
> pool).

> [root at gc-server2 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>

> Disk /dev/sdc: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255552 bytes
>
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267349 cylinders
>
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>

> Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

Are you sure that the Perc was not presenting you with a logical disk (Volume)?
One I received from dell, with RHEL on it, was setup with 8 disks in a raid5 and the controller was
presenting the whole array as two drives, i.e., no physical drives are presented to the OS.

BTW had your support contract ran out with Dell/RH?

> Two things are a bit unusual here, first of all its not a 2Tb disk, and
> secondly why cant I read the partition table.
>

> Originally the OS was on an LVM volume and by default it was setup as
>

>  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1

you might get lucky with a vgscan or lvmdiskscan, however my bet is on having to put all the drives
back in a perc array.

--
Todd Denniston