[CentOS] Upgrading to 2.6.32

Sat May 1 20:56:14 UTC 2010
maillists0 at gmail.com <maillists0 at gmail.com>

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 04:44:49PM -0400, maillists0 at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work when
> making
> > a version jump this large.  Are my drivers likely to break?
>
>         *All* bets are off with this.  It's unsupported and for good
>        reason.  Redhat has, literally, *many hundreds* of patches in the
>        kernels they ship that the vanilla kernel kits don't provide,
>        it is entirely likely hardware support is different including
>        drivers.
>

> That's exactly what I was wondering about. That said, I'm willing to sort
through it all if I can just find the right docs, but I'm just inexperienced
enough that I don't know where to start looking.

Redhat has a kernel src rpm available. Is that patched? If I started with
the vanilla kernel, where might I find guidance on how to apply the Redhat
patches? Is this a completely crazy idea?