[CentOS] which gcc package?

Sun May 9 17:01:34 UTC 2010
Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org>

Michael,

On 9 May 2010 16:48, Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:
> Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> Depending on the requirements of the source code you are trying to
>> compile you might have to fetch some development packages for various
>> libraries, for example if it uses ncurses, you will want ncurses-devel
>> package.
> This problem seems (to my semi-newby brain) to be related to X --
>
> [root at sr1220 plugger-5.1.3]# make
> gcc -c -O2 -Ipluginsdk/include -INONE -DXP_UNIX  -DVERSION=\"5.1.3\"
> -fPIC  -o plugger.o plugger.c
> In file included from plugger.c:43:
> pluginsdk/include/npapi.h:129:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
> directory
You need to get familiar with how C libraries work.

You are trying to compile a package which calls the Xlib library. The
definitions for the library (i.e., what methods and functions are
available to programmer) is stored in a file called header file which
ends with the extension h.

In most distributions, these are stored separately to the libraries
(i.e., runtime only dependencies).

If you do a search for your missing header file with the command

yum provides *X11/Xlib.h

you will see that this is provided with the libX11-devel package. Then
you can install this package with the command

yum install libX11-devel

and so on for all of your missing dependencies.

> I emailed the coder yesterday - still waiting for a reply.
This is nothing to do with the coder. I think you will wait for a
while for the reply. :)