[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Mon May 10 14:20:27 UTC 2010
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Coert wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> About a year ago I set up a mail server on CentOS using this howto:
> http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html
> I managed to add amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin.
> It runs very well, but it runs on CentOS 5.2, and if I try to upgrade,
> amavisd-new and clamav break.
> we are now also at the point where a backup mx will need to be implemented.
>
> If necessary I am willing to implement a new mail server and a new
> backup mx.
>
> What I would like to know is what solution you guys would recommend for
> the mail server and the backup MX?

> Regards,
> Coert

I would follow the CentOS Wiki HowTo docs for Postfix, which are
currently maintained for CentOS 5:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd

If things break, report it and I'll fix the documentation. I'm running
that setup so I do tend to notice when things break.

I've recently updated to the latest amavisd-new, clamav and spamassassin
- all largely without issue but I would always advise you read the
release notes and track their respective mailing lists for potential issues.