[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Tue May 11 05:58:36 UTC 2010
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 01:46 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>>
>>> With reference to your other message in this thread, MailScanner calls
>>> spamd/clamd as part of the process but the real value in my mind is the
>>> granular handling in MailScanner which is sort of complete overkill but
>>> it totally works and scratches about every itch you ever had in running
>>> a mail server.
>>
>> I'm sure the same can be said of mimedefang and more. When I find
>> something is not met by the postfix provided mechanisms, I'll take a
>> look at these other solutions.
>
> MimeDefang is about as efficient as you can get because it multiplexes the
> milter hooks separately as needed between the front/back end processes so it
> doesn't keep a perl process running for every sendmail process and you don't
> have fast operations waiting for slow ones to complete - and it runs
> spamassassin in the backend daemon processes instead of starting a new copy for
> each message.  Plus, it splits out the attachments only once for as many
> scanning operations as you configure.
>
> In theory, you can run MimeDefang as a postfix milter these days but I don't
> know if it actually works.

It should. postfix's support of milter should have reached the level
that mimedefang uses a year or two iirc. It should support changing the
recipient and what not. that I don't quite recall right now. that
mimedefang expects from the milter interface.