[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 14:41:19 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/20/2010 8:21 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've got a fresh CentOS 5.4 box, and the only glitch so far is that
> /etc/init.d/smb doesn't start smbd. It claims it does - shows "[ok]" - but
> only nmbd ends up running. Even setting a higher debugging level in the smbd
> flags, nothing logs or shows on the console as to why smbd is immediatly
> quitting.
>
> To make it stranger, doing this works fine:
>
>    . /etc/init.d/functions
>    daemon smbd -D
>
> That's the core of how the /etc/init.d/smb file is set up to start it.
> Except from there it's not working - despite the reported "[ok]".
>
> Anyone seen this, or have advice on how to debug it?

Does 'service smb restart' work after the rest of the system is up
enough to log in?  If so, maybe some of the underlying network services
aren't ready when it starts at bootup.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com