[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 14:53:20 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

> Does 'service smb restart' work after the rest of the system is up
> enough to log in?  If so, maybe some of the underlying network services
> aren't ready when it starts at bootup.

/etc/init.d/smb restart does not restart it. Shows an error on smb shutdown
(of course, since it's not running), an [ok] on nmbd shutdown, then [ok] on
startup for both - but smbd does not in fact run. (Now, that would be some
level of bug, that it reports "[ok]" when it's immediately not the case,
right? It's at least a feature lacking.)

Networking is fully up and running. Can't take smbd down right now to see if
"service smb restart" works better than "/etc/init.d/smb restart" (other
work being done over that mount at present), but I've yet to see any other
case where an init.d script, run by root, fails, so I'm not betting that's
the problem. It does, as it stands, fail on system reboot too.

Whit