[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 15:43:03 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/20/2010 9:53 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>> Does 'service smb restart' work after the rest of the system is up
>> enough to log in?  If so, maybe some of the underlying network services
>> aren't ready when it starts at bootup.
>
> /etc/init.d/smb restart does not restart it. Shows an error on smb shutdown
> (of course, since it's not running), an [ok] on nmbd shutdown, then [ok] on
> startup for both - but smbd does not in fact run. (Now, that would be some
> level of bug, that it reports "[ok]" when it's immediately not the case,
> right? It's at least a feature lacking.)
>
> Networking is fully up and running. Can't take smbd down right now to see if
> "service smb restart" works better than "/etc/init.d/smb restart" (other
> work being done over that mount at present), but I've yet to see any other
> case where an init.d script, run by root, fails, so I'm not betting that's
> the problem. It does, as it stands, fail on system reboot too.

I don't think there should be a difference using 'service' vs.
/etc/init.d/smb.  One difference between those and your direct
invocation that worked is that the scripts source /etc/sysconfig/samba.
  Do you have anything unusual in SMBDOPTIONS there?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com