[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 22:39:16 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

> Maybe try "rpm -V samba" to verify all the samba files.  You get any
> output then you have problems.

I take it this output:

# rpm -V samba
S.5....T  c /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
S.5....T  c /etc/samba/smbusers
.......T  c /etc/sysconfig/samba

merely shows that these are files that don't precisely match the rpm
contents? In any case, earlier today we did a complete reinstall of the rpm,
and in that form it failed. /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb has had some edits in
testing stuff, but is back to the original. /etc/samba/smbusers we most
recently had as

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
# nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

but removing that # from the nobody line doesn't fix things - although it
brings it into identity with a Redhat version of the same file on another
box. /etc/sysconfig/samba is also back to its original form, which precisely
matches Redhat in this, too:

# Options to smbd
SMBDOPTIONS="-D"
# Options to nmbd
NMBDOPTIONS="-D"
# Options for winbindd
WINBINDOPTIONS=""

It's crazy. We have 3 Redhat boxes configured the same, and they work. But
this one CentOS has this bizarre failure. I've seen bad init.d files in my
career in various distros, but this one should be too simple to fail. Yet it
does.

I thank everyone for their suggestions. I'm afraid this is giving CentOS a
bad rep among my coworkers. Y'all are great though. Should I be filing a bug
report on this?

Whit