[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 22:50:20 UTC 2010
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 18:39 -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> > Maybe try "rpm -V samba" to verify all the samba files.  You get any
> > output then you have problems.
>
> I take it this output:
>
> # rpm -V samba
> S.5....T  c /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
> S.5....T  c /etc/samba/smbusers
> .......T  c /etc/sysconfig/samba
>
> merely shows that these are files that don't precisely match the rpm
> contents? In any case, earlier today we did a complete reinstall of the rpm,
> and in that form it failed. /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb has had some edits in
> testing stuff, but is back to the original. /etc/samba/smbusers we most
> recently had as
>
> # Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
> root = administrator admin
> # nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
>
> but removing that # from the nobody line doesn't fix things - although it
> brings it into identity with a Redhat version of the same file on another
> box. /etc/sysconfig/samba is also back to its original form, which precisely
> matches Redhat in this, too:
>
> # Options to smbd
> SMBDOPTIONS="-D"
> # Options to nmbd
> NMBDOPTIONS="-D"
> # Options for winbindd
> WINBINDOPTIONS=""
>
> It's crazy. We have 3 Redhat boxes configured the same, and they work. But
> this one CentOS has this bizarre failure. I've seen bad init.d files in my
> career in various distros, but this one should be too simple to fail. Yet it
> does.
>
> I thank everyone for their suggestions. I'm afraid this is giving CentOS a
> bad rep among my coworkers. Y'all are great though. Should I be filing a bug
> report on this?
----
not until you run the command as suggested much earlier...

/usr/sbin/smbd -iF

which will launch it iteractively and output everything to standard out
- the console itself and then let us know what it says.

Craig

believed to be clean.