[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Tue May 25 21:38:59 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Just a follow up note: We've got the same problem again on another fresh
> install. Totally different hardware - so the hardware hypothesis bites the
> dust. Since other people aren't seeing this, the remaining suspect is our
> configuration files. We're using an smbpasswd backed, and in both these
> cases moved configuration files over from working Redhat systems for this.

Wondering aloud: where the smbpasswd *data* files copied?  If so how,
exactly? And from what version of samba were the smbpasswd *data*
created with?  And are the permissions of the smbpasswd *data* what they
should be?  Just guessing, but if there is some broken about the
smbpassword database files, this *could* explain some level of problem,
although I would more like suspect that smbd with just never run, rather
that start and die under *some* conditions, unless those conditions
relate to something like library search paths or something odd.