[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Tue May 25 22:01:04 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:38:59PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> Wondering aloud: where the smbpasswd *data* files copied?  If so how,
> exactly? And from what version of samba were the smbpasswd *data*
> created with?  And are the permissions of the smbpasswd *data* what they
> should be?  Just guessing, but if there is some broken about the
> smbpassword database files, this *could* explain some level of problem,
> although I would more like suspect that smbd with just never run, rather
> that start and die under *some* conditions, unless those conditions
> relate to something like library search paths or something odd.

Fair questions. The smbdpasswd data files were copied from Redhat Samba
Version 3.0.33-3.15.el5_4 (to CentOS Samba Version 3.0.33-3.28.el5). The
UIDs in the second field were hand edited (to no discernable effect). The
users (only two) can log on fine to these systems once smbd has been started
(e.g. with "smbd -D").

What I'm finding in comparing a working Redhat 5.4 system is that smbd
starts up with a link through /proc/[smbd pid]/fd which then includes a
bunch of stuff including:

lrwx------ 1 root root 64 May 25 17:45 9 -> /var/cache/samba/messages.tdb

Now, when smbd is started as "smbd -D" on CentOS there is no /proc/[pid] set
up for it. There is for nmbd, from the init.d/smb file's running, a
/proc/[nmbd pid]/fd set up although that doesn't use messages.tbd.

Just where in all that the real problem is I can't say yet. Could it be in
setting up the /proc/[pid] directory for smbd? Or in connecting that
directory once set up to /var/cache/samba/messages.tdb? And what's that even
used for, if smbd runs just fine without it?

Whit