[CentOS] grub irritants

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Mon Nov 1 18:23:24 UTC 2010

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote, On 11/01/2010 02:14 PM:
> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a solution
> to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the default?
>
>         mark

Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in the system's life?

i.e.  /etc/sysconfig/kernel
has
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen
instead of
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

or
UPDATEDEFAULT=no

????
I ask because for me it was a system that had once _been_ xen, and was not anymore, which kept
hanging on to old kernels, Really embarrassingly old kernels [ which fully proved to me that yum
will not replace the running kernel ].

And I have never had a problem getting rid of rhgb, which I do on all most all machines I admin.

--
Todd Denniston