[CentOS] grub irritants

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Nov 1 18:31:26 UTC 2010

Todd Denniston wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote, On 11/01/2010 02:14 PM:
>> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
>> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
>> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
>> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a
>> solution to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the
>> default?
>
> Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in
> the system's life?

Nope. It's a new system, not more than a couple months at most, and no,
it's never had Xen. The other admin and I can't remember who did the deed,
but we installed CentOS 5.5 as a fresh install.
<snip>
> And I have never had a problem getting rid of rhgb, which I do on all most
> all machines I admin.

Yeah, I do it on all the servers... and my home system, and my netbook,
and that's got the Ubuntu remix, and is that *irritating*, since every
time it updates the kernel (too frequently, IMO), it puts the same damn
things *back*.

       mark