[CentOS] xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Thu Nov 11 20:32:03 UTC 2010

On another note, on the same subject (xServes being disontinued), one
feature we use heavily on our os-x server is the ability to load / unload
periodic jobs with launchd.

With it we're able to schedule jobs let's say every 5 minutes, and so on.
One could say I could do something like "*/5 * * * * /path to job" in
crontab. True, but the big advendage of launchd in that matter, is that it's
5 minutes between jobs. So if the job takes 6 minutes, we will never have 2
time the same job running at the same time.

We even have a job that is scheduled to run every 60 seconds, but can take 2
hours to complete.

Is there any scheduler under linux that approch this ?

Thanks,