[CentOS] xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 20:50:29 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 2:32 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> On another note, on the same subject (xServes being disontinued), one
> feature we use heavily on our os-x server is the ability to load / unload
> periodic jobs with launchd.
>
> With it we're able to schedule jobs let's say every 5 minutes, and so on.
> One could say I could do something like "*/5 * * * * /path to job" in
> crontab. True, but the big advendage of launchd in that matter, is that it's
> 5 minutes between jobs. So if the job takes 6 minutes, we will never have 2
> time the same job running at the same time.
>
> We even have a job that is scheduled to run every 60 seconds, but can take 2
> hours to complete.
>
> Is there any scheduler under linux that approch this ?

The simple-minded approach if you just want to serialize them is to run
a script that does the job, then schedules another run of itself with
'at now' or 'at now + interval'.  There are much more complex schedulers
too.  Depending on the kind of jobs, you might roll your own
cross-platform job manager starting with hudson.  It is really intended
to do software build jobs with slave agents on different machines but it
will run any job you give it and there are a large number of plug-in
extensions.  http://hudson-ci.org/

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com