[CentOS] best way to start and shutdown programs in CentOS?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:04:04 EST 2010

On 11/22/2010 1:37 PM, Kill Script wrote:
>     It may be tempting to use the rc.local, but that's the quick and dirty
>     way and not good for the long-term sustainability and management of a
>     system.  There's no way to individually control any service running
>     from there, and no way to stop it on shutdown.
> Yeah, thank you.  I talked with the person who wrote the Java program,
> and he essentially said the same thing.
> I'm looking through his suggestions now, and he suggested a shutdown
> script. I others who have examples with pid.txt and "dirname $0".  Not
> sure what these are and am googling them now.

Standard init scripts use some common functions to write the process ID
of the running program in a standard place so the 'stop' operation can
find it.  A side effect of this is that if you have multiple instances
of a program running you have to have separate init scripts with
different names to control them.   Also, you generally need root access
to start/stop with this facility.  If your program doesn't otherwise
need root access and you want an ordinary user to have control you may
want to do it some other way.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com