[CentOS] best way to start and shutdown programs in CentOS?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 23:24:13 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 November 2010 10:36:31 Brian Mathis wrote:
> It may be tempting to use the rc.local, but that's the quick and dirty
> way and not good for the long-term sustainability and management of a
> system.  There's no way to individually control any service running
> from there, and no way to stop it on shutdown.

I totally agree.  My suggestion was based on the assumption that the OP didn't
have much system-administration experience and using rc.local was definitely
the easiest way out.

I should have warned him of the alternate correct method though...Fortunately
he has been nicely informed by others.

--
Jorge