[CentOS] Centos 6 installation memory requirements

Tue Nov 16 16:02:22 UTC 2010
Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>

> Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
> FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?
>
> My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
> base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
> leaving the boot in test mode.
>
> I recall a message earlier that 6 is based off of 14, but not the final
> Anaconda, thus my question.
>
> It would be NICE if the install can work with at least 384Mb of memory,
> as this is the recommended minimum for FC14 so I would think it is the
> miniumum for RHEL/Centos 6.
>
> I am seeing FC leave more older hardware behind and with its short
> cycles and 'currentness' of apps for RHEL 6, I am looking at moving some
> of my desktops back from FC to Centos.  FC13 may be the last FC for some
> of them...

RHEL 6 uses the 2.6.32 kernel (a-la F12), so I should expect it's
minimum requirements to be similar to F12. I've not tried such a paired
down install though, so I can't say for sure.

Perhaps you could craft a thinned-down kickstart installer that includes
Gnome/KDE? Then, if you don't have enough memory, you can start parring
down packages post-install until you can fire up the GUI?

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com