[CentOS] Centos 6 installation memory requirements

Tue Nov 23 19:55:13 UTC 2010

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> break out your wallet, blow the dust out, and spend a few bucks on some
RAM

> Sometimes the hardware is so old, that it is not as easy as that to find
the right RAM for it...

> I have some very old IBM PoS cashier machines (sic! got them for 30 EUR
each, plenty of connectors, very well built) based on Celeron processors
which valiantly run CentOS 5 for some tests/router/storage, etc., but I
have a hard time finding RAM for them.
> I think that they will never make it to CentOS 6 (maybe I'll switch them
to Debian which I always found pretty good for low-end hardware).

I've always been impressed with how solid IBM's hardware is. Anyway, one
thing you might look at is to see what's running, and if you don't need
it, turn it off, and maybe uninstall. If these are PoS boxen, do you need
X windows? Do you need Gnome or KDE as windonw managers (look at smaller
ones - I use IceWM at home, < 600k, yes, k, not M; the other admin here
likes xfce)?

      mark