[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Iain Morris iain.t.morris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 21:02:22 EDT 2010

No one seems to like AD. I actually find it to be fairly manageable compared
to stock LDAP/Kerberos.  The management tools blow OpenLDAP out of the
water.  I laugh at myself saying it, but if you want simple management of a
big installation, AD is pretty dang tested these days and it's not hard to
integrate other systems in that environment if you have admin control of the

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> > Stephen Harris wrote:

> >> Nobody in their right mind uses NIS+.  Even Sun have stopped it.
> >>
> >> When I did Solaris 2.4 training NIS+ took 2 chapters of the manual.
>  When
> >> I did Solaris 9 training it took 2 sentences.  Yes, NIS+ may be more
> >> secure than NIS, but it's a FPOS to use properly and not a recommended
> >> solution.
> >
> > *shrug* I've never used it. Trust me, openLDAP is a royal PITA, but with
> > AD as an alternative....
> Both NIS+ and LDAP are a PITA but NIS+ less so, IMHO, probably because
> I learned it first. Anyway, NIS+ is pretty much history...

-- -
Iain Morris
iain.t.morris at gmail.com