[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Sun Oct 3 01:13:13 UTC 2010

> No one seems to like AD. I actually find it to be fairly manageable compared
> to stock LDAP/Kerberos.  The management tools blow OpenLDAP out of the
> water.  I laugh at myself saying it, but if you want simple management of a
> big installation, AD is pretty dang tested these days and it's not hard to
> integrate other systems in that environment if you have admin control of the
> schema.

Microsoft have always been good at pretty GUIs for managing their product.
It's why NT Domains succeeded and NIS+ failed, despite being very similar
in concept.

Microsoft are _also_ learning why scripted access to their products is
essential.  Eventually they'll have the benefits of built-in adequate
usable management tools and the flexibility of programmatic interfaces
and it'll be a lot harder to justify Unix for infrastructure purposes.

Which'll put me out a job!

--

rgds
Stephen