[CentOS] kmod-kvm for custom CentOS 5.5 kernel

Fri Oct 8 21:35:41 UTC 2010
Ken Dechick <kend at medent.com>

Hello all!

   I have actual need to build a custom kernel.(Have to change Preemption
model to 'server' and turn off Preempt the big kernel lock, ect) I have heard
bits and pieces about these changing defaults in newer kernels but I haven't
investigated that yet.

This of course is not a problem at all, made my needed changes to the source
code and successfully build both the standard and the Xen kernel using the
rpmbuild guide from this site found here:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

Built:
 kernel-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.1.x64.x86_64
 kernel-xen-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.1.x64.x86_64

The standard kernel works well, I haven''t messed around much with Xen yet (I
get an "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format") if I try to boot
to the xen kernel - I have Xen installed correctly I believe:

[kend at test225: ~]# rpm -qa | grep xen
xen-3.0.3-105.el5_5.5.x86_64
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.1.x64.x86_64
xen-libs-3.0.3-105.el5_5.5.x86_64
xen-devel-3.0.3-105.el5_5.5.x86_64
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.x86_64
xenwatch-0.5.3-3.el5.x86_64
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-8.el5.x86_64
kernel-xen-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.x86_64
kernel-xen-2.6.18-194.11.4.el5.1.x64.x86_64

But I need to nail down this KVM issue as I would rather use full hardware for
my virtualization. Problem I have is that I cannot find a source rpm package
for kmod-kvm that will work with my kernel. There are instructions on the KVM
site on how to build external module for older kernels, and I tried that, but
to make a long story short, mt 2.6.18-194 kernel has no available source rpms
that I can use for my custom kernel.

Can anyone point me to a source package for kmod-kvm that will work with my
2.6.18-194.11.4.el5 kernel base?? I have spent 2 full days digging through
packages on the web and I cannot come up with anything.
Thinking of just going with trying out Xen instead, but of course I have an dd
issue there too.

Any help with either of these issues would be very much appreciated!

Sorry for the long post

Kenneth M DeChick
Linux Systems Administrator
Community Computer Service, Inc.
http://www.medent.com
kend at medent.com
Registered Linux User #497318
Schshschshchsch.-- The Gorn, "Arena", stardate 3046.2

.

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected by law as privileged and confidential, and
is transmitted for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.