[CentOS] kmod-kvm for custom CentOS 5.5 kernel

Sat Oct 9 17:42:45 UTC 2010
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Ken Dechick <kend at medent.com> wrote:

>   I have actual need to build a custom kernel.(Have to change Preemption
> model to 'server' and turn off Preempt the big kernel lock, ect) I have heard
> bits and pieces about these changing defaults in newer kernels but I haven't
> investigated that yet.
>
> This of course is not a problem at all, made my needed changes to the source
> code and successfully build both the standard and the Xen kernel using the
> rpmbuild guide from this site found here:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
(snip)
> to make a long story short, mt 2.6.18-194 kernel has no available source rpms
> that I can use for my custom kernel.

Do you mean no src.rpm of your custom kernel? If so, rpmbuild -bs will build it.

> Can anyone point me to a source package for kmod-kvm that will work with my
> 2.6.18-194.11.4.el5 kernel base?? I have spent 2 full days digging through
> packages on the web and I cannot come up with anything.

kmod-kvm is built from kvm and it is kernel version independent,
kABI-tracking.  This means that, if your custom kernel is kABI
compatible with the distro kernel, the kvm module will continue to
work.

Akemi